Air Chefs intends to retrench 118 workers out of a workforce of about 1,200 people, the union said, adding that it would oppose the planned job cuts.
NUMSA said it was engaging with SAA Chief Executive Vuyani Jarana on the planned job cuts and consultations are expected to take place on Friday.
The Carrier’s spokesman Tlali Tlali has confirmed to Reuters that SAA would meet labor unions from June 19 to discuss the planned job cuts in talks facilitated by the Commission for Conciliation, Mediation and Arbitration.
South African Airways has appealed to the government for $404 million to cover immediate costs and warned that it may be unable to make debt repayments next year as the state carrier battles to stay in operation.
The carrier’s net loss widened more than threefold to 5.6 billion rand in the 2017 financial year. The airline suspended two executives including Chief Financial Officer Phumeza Nhantsi in March.
এই বিভাগের আরও সংবাদ :
- Qatar Airways makes ‘substantial’ loss
- Kenya Airways ‘not in compliance’ with Afrexim debt
- Emirates cooperating in South African antitrust probe
- Jet Airways financial turbulence:airline won’t be able to operate beyond 60 days unless cost cuts, including salary
- Alitalia turnaround plan to be presented by Etihad
- Union Budget 2017: Air India gets Rs 1,800 cr as equity infusion even as losses pile up