Ethiopian Airlines (ET, Addis Ababa) is set to begin longhaul operations out of Abidjan following the signing of an agreement with the Ivorian government earlier this week.
In a statement to the Agence Ivoirienne de Presse (AIP), Ivory Coast Minister of Transport Amadou Koné said 4x weekly flights to the United States would start from mid-May onwards.
The US cities to be served include New York, Washington Dulles, and a third unspecified point. Operations will be onboard B787-8 equipment.
To ensure the services’ sustainability, Air Côte d’Ivoire (HF, Abidjan) will provide regional West African feed akin to how ASKY Airlines (KP, Lomé) provides feeder traffic from its West and Central African services for Ethiopian’s 5x weekly Lomé, Togo to Newark flights.
The Ivorian government had earlier considered offers from each of South African Airways (SA, Johannesburg O.R. Tambo) and Kenya Airways (KQ, Nairobi Jomo Kenyatta) prior to settling on Ethiopian’s.
The Ivory Coast and Ethiopia initialled a revised air services agreement late last year which presumably includes 5th freedom traffic rights.
এই বিভাগের আরও সংবাদ :
- Bahar Dar, Ethiopia sees maiden inc’l cargo flights
- Guinea Airlines chooses Ethiopian as technical partner
- Ethiopian Airlines to add maiden B737 MAX 8 in late 2Q18
- East Africa continues to integrate, Ethiopian Airlines scales up, and AIIB expands
- Kenya Airways seeks to run main Nairobi airport
- Ethiopian Airlines adds Jinka to domestic network